5 Common Mistakes with Bathroom Remodels
Posted on September 15, 2022
Bathroom remodels can dramatically improve the quality of a home, but there are mistakes that homeowners can make if they aren't careful. Listed below are five common bathroom remodeling mistakes.
1. Not remodeling at all, or waiting to remodel
Bathroom remodels are a time and money investment so it's good to weigh how often to remodel bathroom spaces. With a strong return on investment, updating and upgrading your bathroom before selling your home is a smart choice. However, there are other important reasons to update bathroom spaces as well.
- Health reasons - If fans and ventilation systems aren't removing moisture fast enough, serious mold growth can occur. Installing a window can help improve air quality, while also providing natural light.
- Safety reasons - Depending on a family's needs it may be smart to add safety features like handrails or walk-in tubs.
2. Hiring the wrong people
Once homeowners decide to remodel, hiring the right people is imperative.
When some people consider remodels, they heavily consider taking the DIY route. That is exactly how bad bathroom remodels begin. Instead, it's strongly recommended to hire a professional. Listed below are key reasons why it is always better to hire a trained professional.
- Plumbing is very difficult - Plumbing is a challenging, skilled trade and there's a reason why Texas has stringent requirements for a plumber to earn the title of a master plumber. Master plumbers ensure both quality plumbing and maintenance of the houses' structural integrity. Homeowners should seek out licensed professionals who can avoid serious bathroom remodeling mistakes.
- Professionals offer insurance, bonds, and guarantees - Letting someone work on the structure of a house, without understanding code requirements, can cause serious damage and cost you more money in the long run. Relying on friends or oneself for this is high on the list of "don'ts" when it comes to bathroom dos and don'ts.
3. Not budgeting properly
While most people would love to install a jacuzzi, homeowners need a disciplined budget to make sure they can finish the most important aspects first. Establishing a budget and finding a good company that will respect that budget is critical.
A good rule of thumb is to expect to spend 5-10% of the home value on the remodel. It's important to set aside additional money in the budget in case orders change or problems with construction arise.
4. Choosing the wrong materials
It's key to avoid poor choices in materials and design. Here are some tips.
- Countertops, bathing area, and floors - Because bathrooms typically have less square footage, this may be the place to go for finishes like granite or marble for the counters, acrylic showers, or engineered wood.
- Avoiding certain materials - Many items are a matter of taste but removing ventilation or installing a tub liner — both of which can encourage mold growth — are two mistakes to avoid.
5. Sweating the small stuff
While bathroom remodels can be expensive and large in scope, it's important to remember that even small updates and changes can make a big impact. Homeowners should consider these ideas to ensure a beautiful and comfortable space:
- Visiting a showroom - Some decisions are best made in person and with the consultation of experts. This is especially true when homeowners need to evaluate colors and textures.
- Using mirrors and lighting strategically - Mirrors and lighting can make the space appear larger and brighter. Hanging a mirror in the right spot, with the right lighting, can make the room feel more open and spacious.
- Ensuring privacy - Frosted windows or tasteful curtains and plants can go a long way to ensure privacy in a new space.
Homeowners should keep these five common mistakes in mind when considering a bathroom remodel. All these mistakes can be avoided by reaching out to a company like Expo Home Improvement and asking for guidance on your dream bathroom remodel.