How Long Do Energy-Efficient Windows Last?
Posted on September 17, 2019
Posted in General
If you're thinking about investing in energy-efficient windows for your home, it makes sense that you would want to know how long they will last for. While you can't put an exact expiration date on them, a good estimate would be that they will likely last somewhere between 15-20 years, and possibly longer if they are well maintained. However, even if your windows still look good at the 20-year mark, it may be time to start thinking about replacing them because their energy-efficiency has undoubtedly started to decline.
Signs That Your Windows Are Nearing the End of Their Lifespan
While age is a good indicator of whether your windows need to be replaced, it's not the only one. There are also a number of other signs to look out for that will signal that it's time to replace your windows, including:
- Drafts - If you can feel a draft coming through your window, it means that your window is not providing you with optimal energy efficiency.
- Rotted or warped window frames - If you notice that your windows are rotting or warping, you should replace them right away. These problems can lead to air leaks, flooding, and even complete window failure.
- Other broken parts - If the windows in your home aren't opening or closing properly, have cracked or broken glass, or have broken latches or locks, it's probably a good idea to replace them.
- Condensation between the panes - If you have multi-pane windows and you notice that there is condensation between your window panes, then that means that a seal has broken and your window is now compromised and is no more efficient than a single pane window.
- Rising energy bills - If you notice that your energy bills have been steadily rising even though you haven't been using any more energy than normal, it could be caused by the energy inefficiency of your windows. Because your HVAC unit will have to work harder to maintain a comfortable temperature, damaged windows can cause your energy bills to skyrocket.
If you've noticed any of these signs, don't put off replacing your windows because you'll only be hurting yourself in the long run. Instead, turn to a professional company to have high-quality, energy-efficient windows installed right away.
Benefits of Replacing Your Windows
If you've determined that your windows are no longer getting the job done, then it's time to replace them with new energy-efficient ones. Once you decide to make this change, you can expect:
- Curb appeal - Adding new windows to your home will instantly add beauty and make a great first impression on guests and passerby.
- Potential saving - Having energy-efficient windows installed in your home will allow your HVAC unit to more easily maintain a comfortable temperature inside your home all year long, which in turn, can lead to lower energy bills each month.
- Added value - When you have energy-efficient windows installed in your home, you will be increasing the overall value of your home.
Hire a Reputable Company
When you've made the decision to have energy-efficient windows installed in your home, make sure you turn to a professional to complete the job. That's because regardless of how many energy-efficient features your windows come with, if they are not installed correctly, all of the aforementioned benefits will be for naught. An experienced company will be able to install your windows perfectly so you reap all of their benefits.
For all of your energy-efficient window needs, contact the professionals at Expo Home Improvement. We will be more than happy to answer all your window-related questions so that you can make an educated decision when shopping for windows.