Picking Materials for a Bathroom Remodel
Posted on January 13, 2020
Posted in General
Remodeling a bathroom in your home can be an exciting yet stressful experience. On one hand, you’ll be getting a brand-new bathroom, designed to meet all of your needs. But on the other hand, it can be a costly and time-consuming project that will take a lot of planning to get right. One of the most important steps when pursuing a bathroom remodel is choosing which materials you want to use for different areas of your bathroom. You’ll want to consider aspects like appearance, durability, and price. Some of the most common bathroom items that you’ll need to consider include:
Countertops are one of the first things you notice when entering a bathroom, and they play a large role in the overall aesthetic. Some of the most popular countertop materials are:
- Granite – An extremely popular countertop material, granite provides a high-end look for homeowners who are looking to add elegance to their home. Granite countertops are available in a variety of patterns and offer superior durability. However, they are one of the more costly countertop options.
- Marble – Providing a beautiful and graceful look, marble has long been associated with wealth. However, it has become more affordable due to the improvements in production. Marble is resistant to chipping and denting and complements almost any style, making it an excellent choice for homeowners.
- Laminate – A very budget-friendly material, laminate is a great option for homeowners looking to make the most of their money. It is available in a number of realistic stonelike and wood-like finishes, so you can get the look of a high-end material without the price.
While looks are important when it comes to flooring, you’ll also want floors that can stand up to water, since they will likely get wet very often. Some common bathroom flooring materials include:
- Ceramic tile – Ceramic tile is waterproof, attractive, and doesn’t cost too much, making it a great flooring option. This tile can be customized in a variety of shapes and sizes, allowing you to create a design that is just right for you.
- Vinyl – For rooms that will endure a lot of water exposure, such as kids’ bathrooms and laundry rooms, this is a great option. It is very durable, cost effective, and available in a seemingly endless amount of style options.
- Engineered wood – This type of material delivers the beauty of solid wood combined with the ability to stand up to moisture. It can be a little costly, but it’s a great option for homeowners who can afford it.
Choosing the right material for your bathing area is also important because you’ll want a tub or shower that looks attractive and can stand the test of time. Some popular options include:
- Acrylic – Acrylic is durable and easy to clean, making it one of the most popular materials for tubs and showers. It is affordable, but doesn’t sacrifice beauty for the price, and can be customized in a number of options to meet your aesthetic needs.
- Fiberglass – Fiberglass is another cost-effective option and offers many of the same benefits as acrylic. However, it is not as durable as acrylic and tends to fade, crack, and scratch over time.
- Cast iron – This is an ideal option for homeowners who want a tub that offers a timeless look. It is very durable and has excellent heat retention. However, it is very heavy and can be difficult to install, and may require reinforcement of the floor in some situations.
For a Beautiful New Bathtub or Shower – Turn to the Experts at Bath Expo
When you’re looking to have a bathtub installed in your home, consider working with the professionals at Bath Expo. We install tubs and showers that are constructed from an extremely durable acrylic material that is resistant to fading, denting, and chipping. This will allow you to have peace of mind that your investment will last for the foreseeable future.